Carmel, CA — A 1969 Honda CB750 Sandcast owned by Californian Sam Roberts was awarded Best of Show from among the 356 entrants at the May 4 Quail Motorcycle Gathering conducted on the grounds of the Quail Lodge & Golf Club.
Another event highlight was the American Motorcyclist Association bestowing its Dud Perkins Lifetime Achievement Award on Malcolm Smith, who won the Baja 1000 four times, won eight gold medals at the International Six Day Trials and rode in Paris-Dakar twice.
Although Smith was still recovering from a broken hip suffered Jan. 25 while participating in a charity golf tournament, he actively walked the course to greet fans and sign his name to helmets, programs and even a couple of motorcycles.
Other top honors:
• Spirit of The Quail Award: Chad Castle Family Private Collection
• The Quail Ride Award: 1986 Bimota DB1R, Adam Cecchini
• 50 Years of the Honda CB750 Award: 1969 Honda CB750 Sandcast, Sam Roberts
• Off Road Wonders Through the 90’s Award: 1969 Cheney/Triumph 750cc Scrambler/MX, Scott Dunlavey
• 100th Anniversary of the Brough Superior Award: 1925 Brough Superior SS100, Larry Bowman
• HVA Preservation Award: 1929 Brough Superior 680 OHV, Bryan L. Bossier, Sr.
• AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Heritage Award: 1970 JAWA 652, Chris Carter